Friday 1 July 2016

Mid–year book post

Around the new year, I made a post pointing out that I had discovered a list, from 2006, of all the books I had read that year.  Back then, for various reasons, I used to read a lot more than I have come to in recent years.  I used to never be without a book about my person so that if I got a chance to read (on a train journey, say) I'd always have my latest read to hand.  There have been times lately when I have found myself on a journey only to realise that I don't have a book with me.  That never used to happen, and this year I've been trying to find the time to keep up a better reading rate.

As a half-year status report, I list the books that I've read so far this year.  I don't have any mini-reviews prepared, but I might try to retrospectively fit some in.  If you are desperate to know what I think of any of them, feel free to ask in comments and I will take your interest as a prompt to write something.  Anyway, for the record -- and I'll report back at year end -- here is what I have read thus far:

Seymour, an Introduction – J. D. Salinger
American Gods – Neil Gaiman
Raffles – E. W. Hornung
Moby Dick – Herman Melville
The Buried Giant – Kazuo Ishiguro
The Secret Garden – Frances Hodgson Burnett
Gone Girl – Gillian Flynn
Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens
A Little Life – Hanya Yanagihara
Everyone Brave is Forgiven – Chris Cleave
Night Blind (still reading) – Ragnar Jónasson


No comments:

Post a Comment