Wednesday 5 February 2014

You know where to come(x)

I had a nice email earlier in the week from a colleague in Poland inviting me to be on the international advisory committee of the COMEX5 conference.  I think this is the first time I've had such an invite, except for some parochial conferences.  I was happy to say yes - it's a conference in part of a series and I've attended previous outings of it.  

The acronym COMEX apparently means "Collective Motion in Nuclei under Extreme Conditions," and certainly those letters can be found somewhere in the phrase in that order.  

The phrase "collective motion" in the context of nuclear physics means processes in which lots of protons and neutrons are doing the same thing at the same time (like vibrating) as opposed to situations in which a single nucleon is doing all the work.  Most actual nuclear processes are not quite one thing or the other, but it tends to be a useful rough categorisation.   I look forward to going to Cracow for the conference, as well as advising, in an international kind of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment