Tuesday 13 December 2011

News of the Higgs

There will be a seminar in a few hours hosted at CERN to give the latest results in the search for the Higgs boson.  I'm sure it will be interesting, but I'll be at my daughter's first ever Christmas play, which I'm sure I'll enjoy even more.

I'll take a look at the announcement afterwards, and try to write a sensible post about it (and why the Higgs is important to our understanding of nature), but to pre-empt anything too exciting being announced, the following text appears on the CERN home page as I write:


A seminar will be held today at CERN at which the ATLAS and CMS experiments will present the status of their searches for the Standard Model Higgs boson. These results will be based on the analysis of considerably more data than those presented at the summer conferences, sufficient to make significant progress in the search for the Higgs boson, but not enough to make any conclusive statement on the existence or non-existence of the Higgs.

No comments:

Post a Comment